And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!
- And did those feet, William Blake

onsdag 6. september 2023

New publication: 'Helgenerne i Skive. Deres udvalg i kontekst'

 
The end of August saw the publication of a book to which I have been fortunate enough to contribute, namely Dansk senmiddelalder, reformationstid og renæssance [Danish Late Middle Ages, Reformation era, and Renaissance]. The book, edited by Louise Nyholm Kallestrup and Per Seesko-Tønnesen, is a festschrift to my primary PhD supervisor, Lars Bisgaard, who is both a lovely man and one of the leading Danish medievalists of our times.

My contribution is a chapter called '
Helgenerne i Skive. Deres udvalg i kontekst [The saints of Skive. Their selection in context']. The article examines the wall-painting cycle of the Old Church in Skive, Northern Jutland, about which I have written several blogposts. The article provides an interpretation of the selection of saints, suggesting how we might understand the inclusion of some and the exclusion of others.  

The most rewarding aspect of this article was to be able to pay a small homage to a supervisor to whom I owe much more than I can ever repay. I was also very happy that the invitation allowed me to write up an article idea that I had had on my mind since the spring of 2019, following a visit to the medieval church of Skive. As such, this publication is yet another reminder of how such ideas that seem too small or too vague at the time of conception can mature into something interesting and worthwhile, given the opportunity.  

The book, most of whose contributions are in Danish, can be purchased here


Dansk senmiddelalder, reformationstid og renæssance 
Ed. by Louise Nyholm Kallestrup and Per Seesko-Tønnesen
(Photo courtesy of Syddansk Universitetsforlag)





Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar