And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!
- And did those feet, William Blake

tirsdag 25. august 2026

Centuries of history in one picture



The old adage about a picture saying more than a thousand words sometimes rings true with particular force. As I was walking my youngest sister's dog this morning, I was struck by how a simple matter of perspective and framing could serve to summarise centuries of history in a single picture. This happened as we walked the typical route on our shorter walks, which takes us along the innermost bay of the fjord and to one of the rivers that runs into the fjord at its southernmost point. I have seen the views along this route more times than I can count, and I know its various details well enough to recognise any seasonal changes or any oddities that appear. Today, however, I nonetheless noticed, as if for the first time, that at one of the angles along the route, the history of life in the fjords became telescoped into a single contrast. This view is shown in the picture below. In the foreground is an old boathouse which is now on the verge of collapsing. The boathouse itself is not that old - probably only from the mid-1900s - but it represent the kind of infrastructure and the type of wooden boats that were the main mode of fishing and transport for the better part of the past millennium. 


On the other side of the fjord is a shipwright. This was founded in the 1950s, and it is currently one of Norway's leading producers of carbon fibre hulls, focusing mainly on vessels for transport and tourism in the Norwegian fjords. This shipwright grew out of the older tradition of building wooden boats, but represents a new technological reality which is far removed from the framework in which this tradition emerged.  


My paternal grandmother used to say that her generation - she was born in 1912 - was the one generation who had witnessed the most significant changes in the course of one lifetime. Since become a professional historian, I have had many opportunities to see the truth of this, but few times have this truth become more apparent in a single picture such as this one. 



 


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar