And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!
- And did those feet, William Blake

mandag 21. juni 2021

A view of the solstice

 

Today is the summer solstice, one of the great markers in the temporal flow of the year, and a day commonly held to be rich in symbolism. For me, this part of June - if not this specific day - has this year become a period of transition. The previous week I had my last day in a three-month employment, which I have briefly mentioned here, and I am currently in a kind of limbo in which I try to tie up loose ends and preparing for the future. Such transition periods are typical in the life of an academic, and from previous experience I know that they tend to be much more busy than anticipated, whatever their length might end up being. While there is a deep uncertainty in such periods that can be deeply unsettling, I have eventually learned to appreciate what moments of beauty may appear, and to enjoy them despite worry, care, uncertainty, waiting, and all the other manifestations of precarity. The summer solstice offered a lovely opportunity this year, as the combination of light, scents and colours provided vistas that conveyed a reassuring, if tenuous, sense of continuity and permanence, a sense that is to be enjoyed in full whenever possible. 




Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar